Thursday, 10 September 2026

Ambush on the road to Pun.

Preamble. 

Well, I decided that the last battle, while very enjoyable, took far too long to complete with the figures all based individually. So, I ordered in the extra figures to fill out the regiments. Unfortunately, the figures never arrived/ got stolen. It took me months to recover the will to reorder them. Any way I have and here is the second battle of my war between Lagash and Umma. Using Hail Caesar. I managed to just win the first battle, as Umma, but with less surviving units and with the Lagash light Javelin skirmishers being promoted for being stars. 😀 Because I won the previous it promoted me to the side that gets ambushed.

The Ambush

The Umma army is marching along with three baggage which act as objectives.

The randomized goal for Ensi Lugalsagezzi (7) is to get them off the road leading NE.

The Marching order is Light Bow, Spear, Baggage, Spear, Baggage, Light Bow, Baggage.



The Lagash Army

The Regiments were place randomly behind surrounding terrain.
The regiment of Onager pulled chariots are behind the oasis to the NE.


Some bowmen and the elite Javelin men occupied the palm stand across the road.
Some more bow appeared on the hill to the SE and the 1st Spear in the wetlands to the SW.


Being in marching order on road allowed the Umma army to shake out into some order
even though the orders throws were terrible. Must have been the shock of the ambush.

The bow were able to draw first blood on the javelin men.

But unfortunately, being outnumbered two to one must have affected their moral 
and when tested they threw a double 1 and ran away!

So my new plan is to hold off the chariots with Green Spear and push my
way to safety with the Black Spear with the javelin protecting the flank.


The Chariots accept the invite to charge the spear. 
Avoiding the disorder that can come from charging long spear they manage to win.
Pushing the spear back in disorder. 


Following up the chariots managed to hit the spear 4 times to zero
forcing them to flee the battlefield.



The next turn the Chariots charged and ran down the Umma javelins
bringing an end to the battle. 

Summery

Well in nearly 50 years of wargaming I don't remember having an army with
 so many bad moral throws in one day.  😀 
Any way it was a proper massacre. One that I don't think Umma will be coming back from.
Lagash has won the campaign, and the stone will be replaced on the border. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment